When providing security services for commercial properties, construction, and events it is important that your security staff are SIA licensed to operate.
So, to help explain the SIA licensing process here is some helpful information
When can you lawfully work in a licensable role?
You can lawfully work in a licensable role in the following circumstances:
You hold a current, active license for that activity or you hold a current active license for a different activity and SIA rules allow you to work in your role with that licences (for example, you hold a door supervisor license and you work as a security guard) or you work for an SIA approved contractor and they have issued you with a personal Licence Dispensation Notice (LDN). For the LDN to be Valid ALL of the following condition must be met:
- You have an application for an SIA licence that is at the ‘Checks in Progress’ Stage
- Your application is for a sector in which the company is approved
- SIA has authorised the company to issue an LDN
You cannot lawfully work while you are applying for an SIA licence if:
- You don’t work for an approved contractor
- You work for an approved contractor but some or not all conditions have been met.
- LDN’s are not issued by the SIA and are issued by your employer who is an approved SIA contractor
- LDN’s are only valid we the SIA processes your application
- If your licence is granted and you are waiting for it to arrive in the post, you are legally allowed to undertake licensed security activity. This is because you are considered licenced from the point the SIA make their decision.
- There is no such thing as a “temporary license” or “temporary licence number”. All SIA licenses are valid for three years. The duration of SIA licenses is set in law and the SIA do not have the power to vary this.
- It is not your job title that determines whether or not you need a license, it’s what you do. If you undertake any activity such as Manned guarding, mobile patrols or key holding without a valid licence or a properly issued LDN, you will be breaking the law.
To find out more about Licensing applications click here. A&R Security Services provide effective security solutions across South Wales. All of our security guards are fully vetted, licensed and trained to give you the best service and protection for your business. To find out more about our security services visit our website or call 01656 713950