According to recent reports and statistics from Police.uk there were 1,231 burglaries reported in Swansea between August 2018 and July 2019.
Combined with data from You.gov – which shows that burglaries cost small businesses on average £2K and the UK economy over £1.8bn – clearly showing that burglaries present a threat to businesses in Swansea.
In order for business owners to protect their business, staff and assets, it’s important for business owners to understand what they are up against. Knowing what they are up against allows business owners to implement necessary security procedures that will protect their business.
There are three types of commercial burglaries. Here we’ll outline what they are as well as give you tips on how to avoid becoming a target.
These types of burglaries are often carried out on a whim. For example, a potential criminal may notice an open window or door that has been left unlocked. By taking advantage of these lapses in security, an opportunistic burglar will enter your property and steal as much as they can in a short amount of time.
Most of the time, opportunistic burglars will make little to no effort to conceal their presence and avoid detection by alarms or CCTV, and will often enter your property quickly, grab whatever they see and then leave.
Opportunistic burglars are the easiest to prevent. However, within the last year, only 5% of burglaries in the UK were solved by police, indicating that even opportunistic burglars aren’t successful.
In order to prevent opportunistic burglaries:
· Ensure that doors and windows are closed and locked whenever your premises is unoccupied.
· Close blinds to ensure burglars can’t see into your property.
· Lock valuables and important documents in secure lock draws or cabinets
· Don’t leave cash on your property (if it is un-avoidable keep it in a secure safe)
Smash and grab burglaries
Smash and grab burglaries involve criminals using heavy objects to smash windows and gain entry into a property. Occasionally stolen vehicles or heavy machinery are used to ram into shop fronts and help thieves make a quick getaway.
Crimes involving vehicles being used to ram into buildings is often known as ‘Ram Raiding’ and are especially dangerous to the public, to your staff and can be expensive to recover from.
Whether smash and grab burglars use a vehicle or not – Smash and grabs can often occur day or night, usually targeting the front of the building and are often over with within a minute.
To protect yourself from Smash and grabs:
· Use metal shutters to protect the front of your business.
· Ensure to use high-density glass on windows and doors throughout the property
· Position visible CCTV cameras so that you always have a clear view of any large windows or doors.
· Station security guards at the front of your business.
Unlike Opportunistic or smash and grab burglaries, sophisticated burglaries are often undertaken by criminals who observe to minimise their chances of being caught, as well as maximising the amount of time they can spend within your property.
Any criminal looking to undertake a sophisticated burglary will observe you and your staff and spot vulnerable security points that can later be exploited. For example, if your building is unoccupied either overnight or for a couple of days, they may choose these times to act. They may also approach employees in order to get insider information about your alarm system and how it can be deactivated. Alternatively, they purposely set your alarm system off numerous times to stop security guards and police responding to your property’s alarm system (thinking there is a fault).
To avoid becoming a victim here are some tips to help:
· Hire mobile security guards to patrol the exterior and interior of your property at unscheduled times.
· Ensure your staff do not give out codes or security information – regularly change your alarm codes.
· Respond to all alarm soundings – no matter if it is a fault with the system or a purposeful activation
· Hire manned security to guard your property overnight and over weekends
· Monitor CCTV footage to see if anyone is spending time outside observing your property for long periods of time or approaching employees.
A&R Security Services provides professional security services in Swansea including manned guarding, mobile security, alarm installation and monitoring, and secure key holding services. If you would like to know more about our services call us on 01656 713950 or visit our website for more details.